Thursday, June 26, 2008

Driving Backwards

We all do it... It's only a matter of when.

A couple years ago, I was driving with my brother and he noticed my driving into a parking spot. He decided to ask me why I didn't back into the spot. I realized that I had no good reason. He proceeded to say that as much as I might hate driving backwards, I'll eventually have to do it. Why not back into the parking spot rather than back out and not know what's coming? It takes the same amount of time and most importantly, you can see who's coming when you're making the fast get-away! Since then, I have made an effort to back into a parking spot unless I can pull through a parking spot so that I can pull out without having to drive backwards.

Try it. It might just prevent an accident!

3 comments:

andy said...

nobody likes a backer upper and during the Christmas shopping season you leave yourself open to spot snatchers.

andy said...

I recently spent a weekend with "un-named family member" who always backs it in.

1* it extends the amount of time that you are in the car after a long trip

2* You're just as likely to hit something- or maybe more likely since passengers are more eager to get out.

EricM said...

As Satchel Paige once said, "Don't look back something might be gaining on you". Which could be a spot snatcher. Fast getaways are neat as that way you so not hit anyone while you are backing out and I can testify that that happens. Hitting your parents car as you are backing out is a no-no. and my Father who daid immediately afterwards, didn't you look back as you were pulling out of the spot. My answer, "Dad, i was paying attention whne you were telling me that".